The Murchison Regional Vermin Council (MRVC) is a statutory organisation which operates under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1995. The MRVC was established in 1963 for the purpose of rehabilitation and maintenance of the No 1 Vermin Fence.
The No 1 Vermin Fence was completed in 1907 and at the time was the longest unbroken line of fence in the world. The No. 1 fence runs from Starvation Boat Harbour on the south coast of WA to a point near Cape Keraudren on the north west coast. The fence was built in an endeavour to stem the rabbit hordes from eating their way west across from the other side of Australia. Today the fence remains as an important barrier for the pastoralists of the region.
The MRVC is a collaboration of the Shires of Cue, Sandstone, Meekatharra, Yalgoo and Mt Magnet. The Council consists of ten members- two from each constituent Shire. The fence that is under the control of the MRVC extends from the 80 mile peg in the South (Lake Moore), to the 426 mile peg in the North (Meekatharra/Wiluna Rd).
Funding for the MRVC is raised by way of precepts from each constituent Council which is matched dollar for dollar by the Department of Agriculture and Food, and by fence rental from each pastoral property through which the No 1 Fence runs.
The No 1 Fence has considerable historical significance and to this end, a four metre section of the existing vermin fence was donated to the National Museum of Australia in Canberra for display purposes.
2007 marked the 100 year anniversary of the completion of the No 1 Vermin Fence.
Back to the top